Individuals with acquired brain injury face longer wait times for inpatient rehabilitation than almost all other rehabilitation populations.
And individuals with complex needs have significant challenges accessing ABI services across the continuum.
As a first step in addressing these issues, the Network is conducting a review of:
- resources available across inpatient and outpatient ABI rehab
- access to rehab relative to complexity of patient profile, and
- outcomes (i.e., FIM score, average length of stay, discharge destination).
The results from the system-wide analysis will be used to facilitate discussions between acute care, rehab and community partners on opportunities for system-level change to:
- improve patient flow
- enhance access to ABI rehab, and
- decrease the variability of resources across the system.
The review will be conducted in 2012/13.