Forum seeks to help bridge gap for those with complex needs
A one day educational forum hosted by the Toronto ABI Network and the Toronto Human Services and Justice Coordinating Committee (T-HSJCC) in May opened up an important dialogue about system gaps faced by individuals with multiple and complex needs.
Bridging the Gap brought together over 80 service providers from shelters, hospitals, inner city health teams, mental health teams and a variety of other community service agencies to learn more about brain injury, homelessness, substance abuse and mental health court support programs.
A series of presentations by leading experts in their respective fields touched on research findings, clinical issues, resources and strategies, and helped stimulate important conversations about how service providers can better support their clients.
The Toronto ABI Network and T-HSJCC will further build on these discussions by fostering relationships with individuals and organizations keen to provide models of shared care to individuals with complex needs.
Copies of the following presentations are available by simply clicking the name of the presentation:
- Bridging the Gap, Untangling the Web
- Dr. Stephen Hwang, MD (Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s)
- Rates, symptoms and causes of traumatic brain injury amongst individuals who are homeless: research findings
- Dr. Jane Topolovec-Vranic, PhD (Trauma and Neurosurgery Program, Keenan Research Centre of Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s)
- Mental Health Court Support Services
- Mary Jane Ellisa (Mental Health Court Support – West Canadian Mental Health Association – Toronto Branch)
- Paula Almeida (Mental Health and Justice Crisis Prevention Program, Canadian Mental Health Association – Toronto Branch)
- How neuropsychology can inform rehab
- Dr. Sylvain Roy, PhD, CPsych (Community Health Injury Resource Services)
- Substance use and abuse and brain injury: Where to start?
- Dr. Carolyn Lemsky, PhD, CPsych (Community Head Injury Resource Services)
- TBI Screening Tool
- Overview of Toronto ABI Network
- Charissa Levy (Toronto ABI Network)