Supporting Your Family Member
Recovery from a brain injury can be a long and challenging process. If someone in your family has a brain injury, you can play an important role in their recovery.
Health professionals often use the Rancho Los Amigos Scale to describe how a person moves through levels of recovery in the initial months following injury.
It is important to remember that individuals with a brain injury move through the levels at their own rate. Some people may:
- move from one level to another
- never be at the lower levels
- never reach the higher levels
- be in more than one level at the same time
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre has developed a guide for family and friends that provides more information about the Rancho Los Amigos Scale along with suggestions to support recovery.
- The Compassionate Justice Fund
- Community-based Organizations and Programs
- Advocacy Organizations and Resources